On Saturday we decided to make a bit of space in our freezer by using up burger buns and lamb mince to make these simple and delicious lamb burgers. I didn’t have any harissa (I don’t think I’ve ever seen any for sale in our local supermarket…!) so we decided to use that Lebanese paste again. Made for a yummy condiment. I felt we needed something fresh to go with this (Himself and the Nippers ALWAYS try to convince me that deep fried gnocchi are the perfect accompaniment to burgers. Shudder. And yet also delicious.) We ended up eating late enough and we were starving so we needed something with a bit more substance.
I love rice with beans. I have often made this Caribbean Rice with Beans recipe but risotto style dishes have become a no-go for one of the nippers. You pick your battles! I like this one because as it’s not actually a risotto you don’t have to stir like a mad thing: you just leave it to cook away.
So I rustled up this salad leaving some of the rice to one side and serving it plain with carrot batons for the kids. I do rather love the combination of the colours in this salad. The rice was slightly warm which is very nice too. There would have been enough left over for our lunch the next day but as I mentioned we were starving.
Rice and Bean Salad (serves 4)
- 2 cups uncooked Basmati rice cooked to your liking
- 1 can of Red Kidney Beans, rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- A handful of baby spinach, shredded
- 1 quarter large red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons of your favourite vinaigrette (I make a bottle of Ballymaloe Vinagrette and larrup it on to a wide variety of salads but you could use this)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients in a delightful bowl and toss. Eat. Yum.