Here I am wearing one of my creations, holding my sister’s beautiful creation. If I had known I was being papped I would have smiled. I’m having a very bad photo day: there’s not much more ignominious than getting your photo taken in the chemist. I don’t know why I do it: always appalling results.
This top is the first piece of clothing I’ve crocheted for myself. It was not difficult but some aspects of the pattern were a little difficult to follow. I didn’t get much assistance from Rowan Yarn when I asked them, so the edges turned out quite wonky hence the belt. You can get all the details from my project on Ravelry. including yarn and links to where you can buy the pattern. You can also see how it turned out for other hookers.
In this picture we’re in the café of the Royal Hibernian Academy. We were there to check out VUE, the annual art fair. It was amazing to be able to see the work of so many different artists curated by so many different gallery owners. I understand that this exhibition previously took place in the RDS but the RHA strikes me as a much more pleasant venue. We were there to support my common law brother John O’Reilly and my actual brother Blaise Smith of course but I have to say I was totally smitten as usual by Patrick Redmond’s work.
VUE is finished up but I would recommend a visit to the RHA just off Stephen’s Green where there is always someting inspirational to see in a beautiful space.
I’ve completed a couple of projects lately of which I am inordinately proud so please excuse my bragging for a moment. First up is this delirious tea cosy which I made as a birthday present for Abigail.
I followed this easy pattern which I originally came across on Ravelry.com. The wool is mostly from Springwools although I haggled he orange wool from a woman on Meath st. I haggled rather a lot from her so if I make something for you expect some orange in it. The beige I picked up for a song in Oxfam. The buttons were a total find in A Rubanesque which is, apparently, Ireland’s only passementerie boutique. Yes you do learn something new every day.
The other completed project is that I completed the Couch to 10k programme although I’m still not convinced that I have actually run 10k but I can now run non-stop for 50 minutes
I have finished the front and while it was a pain at the time I’m very glad that I decided to rip and redo the side panels. It might actually fit me now!
I had to take an afternoon off today. We’ve an unfortunate gap in our childcare arrangements. As if I don’t get enough of it in work, we’re interviewing a couple of people over the weekend. Fingers crossed we’ll have it sorted.
So I’m making the most of it: we have a classmate over which, as a family with two parents in full time work, is a rare occurrence. While Nipper 2.0 and his chum are off building something glorious with Lego, I’m fitting in some daylight crochet. I blogged about this top before and have since ripped back the two side panels, removing the beetroot stain in the process, and redid them. It’s turning out much better this time.
I’ve been busy thanks to some time off. I had to train it up and down to Dublin so I had an opportunity to crochet like a crazy lady. Don’t tell Himself but it was one of the best parts of the holiday
While I was on the train I worked on this green top from a Rowan pattern. It worked out really badly as you can see. I got stuck and asked Rowan Yarns on Twitter for help. I tried to ask them on Facebook but for some reason was unable to post to their wall. (Maybe Facebook has me tagged as a crotchety auld one…) Exasperated I tried to email them but could only fill out a contact form. I HATE contact forms. Website owners if you MUST have a contact form please make sure to email a copy to your user. So a week later I finally get a response at which point I had made the best I could of the indecipherable instructions. As you can see it turned out really well – NOT. Oh and my beetroot soup leaked on it. Disaster. So I’m going to rip that side anyway. The first time I actually make something to wear myself and it’s a complete show. Sigh.
However this next item was a gem. I can’t remember where I got the pattern but you can get it here. I made this for my friend for a significant birthday and was completely delighted with how it turned out. And so was she. I’m glad I dragged the poor Nippers half way across town for the yarn.
This is the back of the cuff. Thanks to my aunty for sewing the buttons on while I got ready for the party!
The pink number here was the trial run which I did on Friday night. I’m really glad I did because the yarn was wrong and I made a few rookie errors.
Finally here’s an update on the blanket that I’m working on for my cousin and his new wife as a wedding present. The first pattern I worked on did not work out. It was too finicky for a blanket, the tension was all wrong and it was turning out the wrong, wrong size. So I ditched it in favour of the Granny Stripe Blanket from Attic24. I’ll probably make a little cushion out of the crazy squares to go with it. I hope I don’t break the wedding present rule and fail to give it to them before the first anniversary. It’s turning out well and it’s a very easy, relaxing number to do.
I do this though: