People are always asking me for this recipe. Dinners being the most recent and as she is off to Kiwiland, how could I say no.
Oven at 350C/ 180F
Grease a tin about the size of a biscuit tin like the ones you get for Christmas from aged aunts.
- 8 oz butter/ margarine
- 20 oz sugar
- 4 eggs
- 12 oz flour
- 4 oz cocoa
- Couple of drops of vanilla essence (optional)
- Melt the butter/ marge in a large saucepan – all ingredients will be going in here so…
- Remove from heat and stir in all that sugar!
- Add eggs one by one stirring after each
- Depending on your mood sift or dump in flour and cocoa
- If you have it, throw in a few drops of vanilla essence.
- Turn into the greased tin and cook for 30 – 45 mins. It can take a while and depends on what consistency cake you like as well.
- Enjoy hot with ice cream or cool like brownies for a good few days.
I sometimes cut out a message in paper and sift icing sugar on top while it is still warm and it sticks well. Actually I haven’t done that in years and years…