Ready Brek is for wusses: this’ll get you going in the morning.
- 120 ml (4 fl oz) safflower oil (until today I used sunflower oil – a neutral oil)
- 90 ml (3 fl oz) malt extract
- 90 ml (3 fl oz) clear honey
- 250g (8 oz) rolled oats (basically porridge oats)
- 250g (8 oz) jumbo oats (a little more difficult to get but Flahavans do them in a smallish packet)
- 125g (4 oz) hazelnuts (I use chopped almonds – don’t like hazelnuts)
- 25g (1 oz) dessicated coconut
- 50g (2 oz) sunflower seeds
- 25g (1 oz) sesame seeds
banana chips, sultanas, raisins, dried fruit…
Tip: You’ll find all of these ingredients in Health Food stores
- Preheat oven to 190C/ 350F/ GM 5
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. I did say large
- Put oil, honey and malt extract in a pot and heat gently until malt is runny.
- Stir dry and gooey ingredients together
- Turn into a roasting dish. As in Sunday Roasting dish. Probably could with another bit of a stir
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, stirring regularly so it gets evenly roasted. It should be golden brown when done.
- Leave to cool and then break apart. Mix in dried fruit of choice and eat with yoghurt, milk or both.
Speaking of which I better go and organise something for the dinner. Anybody know what to do with polenta???